YOU GUYS. I’m so excited to start this new website. My old site, www.runnerskye.ca was created with a focus on running, and racing, and while I am still running, I’ve also been writing, and living, and well, I wanted a site that was more general. One where I can post my fiction stuff, but I can also ramble about my life and the world around me, too.
2017 was a pretty eventful year, and not just because of all the HOLY CRAP IS THE WORLD COMING TO AN END stuff out there, but because of some pretty major personal stuff, too. Here is a quick run-down of what happened:
- In March, I separated from my husband of 11 years. Without going into detail, it was an adjustment, but I am a happier mother, and person for it.
- My brother nearly died of a sudden cardiac arrest about three weeks later. Getting the news was arguably the worst day of my life. Finding out he was going to be okay was one of the best. He’s fine now.
- In June, I took a plane and visited my sister in Bella Bella for the first time. She’s only been living there for about 10 years, so it took me long enough. It was a blast, and I wish I stayed longer and I definitely want to go again. Maybe when it’s not raining the whole time.
- In August, my friend Steph and I took our kids to Vancouver including Science World, the Vancouver Zoo, and the Lego store. Despite the hot, smokey air, we had a great time.
- Got a stress fracture in my right foot and spent the month of September off work and the month of October in an air cast. It wasn’t fun but, mentally, I took it was better than 4 years ago, when I had (not nearly as painful) stress fractures in both feet. It’s mostly healed now, just a twinge now and then. While I was off, I decided to be productive (ha ha) and watch all of “Game of Thrones.”
- For my birthday, I went to Vancouver and attended a rock concert all by myself for the first time. Silversun Pickups (Google them). It was awesome, not scary at all, and I would totally do it again. In fact, I have a ticket for Foo Fighters in Seattle next September and I can’t wait to go.
So. What will 2018 bring? I hope for some more adventures, some more writing, and *shrugs shoulders*. I didn’t really make resolutions; more like very loose list of things I want to do. In no particular order they are:
- Learn to be happy with the body I have. This one’s a tough one. Every year, I usually make some goal to lose less weight, but don’t really make any kind of plan. And while I would like to avoid getting so big I have to buy all new clothes, I’m really kind of done with not liking what I see in the mirror. I’m still going to run; I’m going to work on doing some strength training, too. But I spend way to much time and energy wishing I was skinnier, even though I know it won’t make me any happier. I’m going to quit giving it so much mind-space.
- Write more stuff. That’s where this site comes in. I want to post at least one short fiction piece per week, but also do some other posts when I have something to say.
- Uhhhh, I guess I need to consider the whole dating thing, specifically, online dating. I’m not going to lie; online dating terrifies the pants off me (pun half-intended). I think it’s partly because it wasn’t really a thing the last time I was single (many, many, many, MANY moons ago), and partly because it seems like a giant cesspool of jerks sending unsolicited dick pics. But there must be some nice, nerdy guy on there somewhere, right? I do promise that if I take the plunge, I’ll report back because it’ll probably be hilarious (and maybe a bit humiliating).
Anyway, I do have a story in the works to put out this week, too, and I’ll post a link in the usual places when it’s up. In the meantime, if you want to tell me how your 2017 went, or your goals for 2018, I’d love to read them.